Dargah Hazrat Nizamudin Aulia

If you live in Delhi or walk around a little, you would easily spot a street with a totally isolated essence and culture. So was the one I ...

If you live in Delhi or walk around a little, you would easily spot a street with a totally isolated essence and culture. So was the one I went this past Sunday. Exploring the alley was not the purpose, it just fell in my itinerary. After being bored for about six hours, I finally decided to go out some place to seek peace.

I am not much of a kind who would go anywhere random. I generally call that kind "stupid". After more than one hour in the always busy and crowded metro, I reached the station named, Pragati Maidan. Exiting out from this metro station was an experience totally new for me as this area was very spacious. People getting out of this station were warmly welcomed by the food-carts. Some selling foods like Kulchas, Puchkas, Rolls and god knows what. I found both the food and the area to be good. 

I could took an auto-rickshaw to Dargah Hazrat Nizamudin, a very popular dargah visited daily by thousands of muslims and a considerable population from other religions too. But I thought of taking a bus instead. Bus ride was different and more fun that I could have had in an auto. A chilling wind touching your face and getting inside your shirt, is quite a feeling. The bus ride in Delhi is often ignored to be added up in list. But one must try it as it is awesome if you could find a less crowded route.


Few minutes of walk got me to a left turn. There started the street I was talking about. It was full of vendor stalls, Restaurants, people and a lot many beggars. I didn't know the way to Dargah. So I just followed the crowd hoping that it will lead me somewhere. And it did.


In the way, walking through streets, narrow and crowded at the same time, I noticed one common thing that every vendor was selling; Roses. All around was a display of beautifully arranged roses, sprinkled by very little sparkle dust and water to make them look fresh.

Well, following the crowd, I entered the periphery of Dargah . A very firm voice started to come to me , mixed with hassle of crowd. In the center, the main building is built and maintained very beautifully. Though, I found the place to be little congested to walk freely.

The complex was crowded, busy and peaceful simultaneously. One easily gets dissolved in its color. Everyone was busy in their own and so was I. After having looked all around, I stood near the "qawaal" singing firmly and energetically. He was interacting both with the higher spirits and his listeners, along with his singing. It was soothing to hear "qawaali".


I wanted to sit there for a while but had to come back. So I walked back till the main road. I sat there for a while and observed that very varied theme for some more time. Having spent my time walking, observing and listening, the Sunday wasn't boring any more. It was worth an experience going there. And I am probably going there again some time in hope of more to explore.


This was an unplanned Sunday. As I said, not planning before going is "stupidity", and I think I am more of a Stupid. I would try my stupidity next time in a more random way.

// More pictures //



// Me //



You Might Also Like

1 comments