Jaisalmer : The Golden city

Jaisalmer, a city full of instances of traditional Indian living. I visited Jaisalmer just after the New Year. And every other local said t...

Jaisalmer, a city full of instances of traditional Indian living. I visited Jaisalmer just after the New Year. And every other local said that it's "Season" time. I generally don't mind crowd but I go to places in "off" seasons. This ensures that the place would be peaceful and travelling around it would be inexpensive.

As I was telling you about the traditional living of our country can be seen in Jaisalmer, many people might not have seen it there. But every other street has some kind of "Haveli", all with a very popular style. They use a yellow colored stone which starts looking like Golden and that work over the stone peices!

The Jaisalmer fort also seems to be made of same stones. Ah, let me tell you one interesting thing about the fort. I imagined the fort, as I've seen many other forts, to be more of a preserved monument. I thought it'd be something we see in museums. But no, the fort holds together a considerable portion of city and people actually live into the fort!


This I found a little diverted from the living we have today. But that was something worth going seeing. All around are the shops selling stuff. I'd suggest that you do not get tempted by that stuff. Do compare the prices on several shops. (A friendly and experienced advice)


Before going there, I read over internet about various "Havelis" there. To be honest, if you care much about Indian architecture, then only you'd like it. I myself just had a look on them from outside. But they are beautiful!

Near to the fort, there's a lake and I've forgotten the name. It's peaceful and of my taste. I sat along the bank for few hours. One thing I want to strongly recommend is "Do carry Shades". It's very bright in the areas like Jaisalmer. When I was near the lake, I couldn't even open my eyes fully!


I spent my half of the day walking across the streets of Jaislmer. The streets give you a kind of "village feel" which nowadays is rare. But it was nothing new to me. In my hometown, the same kind of streets are all around. And even with more cow-dunk! (haha)

On 3 PM, we left for the Sam Sand dunes, as per the timings given by the hotel manager. You are supposed to book a package when you come to the city. The prices vary a great deal and it's difficult to know whom to trust. Just see your budget and get it booked.  

The sunset, as it's famous for, is awesomely beautiful. The only thing I didn't like were a lot of people. I mean, it's desert and there cannot be as many people! Right?


But it's okay, instead of looking over people, I looked  at sun, melting down it the warmth of desert, spreading around the orange-red color in the watery blue sky. Taking away all the warmth with it and leaving behind a cool breeze which waved my hair and brought some sand on my face. I know it's getting too poetic but yes, that's it. The sunset there is like that only.


I want to share more about how was the cultural dance, camp and other things there. But I think sun has set and it's time to go. Let us not spoil the calmness of sunset!

That was Jaisalmer.

You Might Also Like

0 comments